Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Blooming Brooches

As I was recently flipping through the latest edition of Vogue, I stumbled upon utter brooch brilliantness, pure divine design of couture and jewels married together in perfect harmony. Crafted by genius Galliano for his spring collection full of confections, this embellished blazer stopped me in my flipping-of-pages tracks. Not all of us are willing to drop a cool 2 g’s + some for a very chic jacket, so in this instance I say create your own. To make this look all yours, opt for a structured blazer that’s currently trend-on. For my own creation I’m selecting a black fitted number and embellishing it with all one-tone crystal brooches. Though don’t be afraid to add color and texture by selecting a variety of gems á la Galliano’s style. Look for brooches that vary in size and shape and haphazardly arrange them according to preference. Cap the look off with an embellished belt, though with my look I’m thinking of trying my vintage leopard one to add a bit of contrast. This statement-making piece is all about having fun and mixing it up, pair with jeans for day and glam up for night with a flirty skirt. Here are some of the HOL brooches I’ve selected perfect for creating your own Galliano inspired masterpiece, I guarantee it’ll be a look all your own. Happy pinning. *fan – 1970’s unsigned silver mesh fan pin – $398

*swirl hoop – 1950’s unsigned diamante swirl hoop pin with baguettes and tiny clear rhinestones – $398

*knot – 1950’s Coro silver toned pin with two intertwined hoops with pave, baguettes and marquis stones – $398

*shield – Trifari signed diamabte dress clips in a floral design – $798/set of two

*leaf – 1950’s unsigned diamante leaf pin with baguettes and marquis rhinestones – $348

*floral – 1950’s Sherman crystal floral pin – $748

*heart burst – 1950’s unsigned small diamante pin in a heart shape with a floral spray in the center – $398